Welcome to Butte-Silver Bow, Montana, a historic and picturesque town nestled in the Rocky Mountains. Known for its rich mining history, stunning architecture, and beautiful landscapes, Butte-Silver Bow is an ideal destination for travelers seeking a blend of outdoor adventure and cultural exploration. This travel guide will help you plan your visit and make the most of your time in Butte-Silver Bow.
Explore Butte-Silver Bow’s Attractions:
- The World Museum of Mining: Delve into Butte’s mining history at this fascinating museum, which features a replica underground mine and exhibits on mining technology and the lives of miners.
- The Berkeley Pit: Visit this former open-pit copper mine, now a lake, and learn about its history and environmental impact at the adjacent visitor center.
- Historic Uptown Butte: Wander through the charming streets of this historic district, lined with beautifully preserved Victorian-era buildings and mansions.
Discover Butte-Silver Bow’s Parks and Outdoor Spaces:
- Granite Mountain Memorial Overlook: Take in panoramic views of Butte and the surrounding mountains at this scenic overlook, which also features a memorial to the miners who lost their lives in the 1917 Granite Mountain mining disaster.
- Thompson Park: Enjoy a leisurely stroll or picnic in this lovely park, featuring walking trails, picnic areas, and a playground.
- Our Lady of the Rockies: Drive or take a guided tour to this impressive 90-foot statue of the Virgin Mary, perched on the Continental Divide overlooking Butte.
Savor Butte-Silver Bow’s Food and Dining:
- Uptown Café: Enjoy classic American fare and friendly service at this popular downtown eatery.
- Muzz and Stan’s Freeway Tavern: Indulge in a delicious Wop Chop sandwich, a local specialty, at this unassuming roadside tavern.
- Front Street Market: Pick up gourmet cheeses, meats, and other treats at this well-stocked market and deli.
Shop in Butte-Silver Bow and Enjoy Local Services:
- Butte Plaza Mall: Browse a variety of popular retail stores, dining options, and a movie theater at this local shopping center.
- Old Butte Antiques: Discover unique treasures and collectibles at this charming antique shop located in the heart of the historic district.
- Headframe Spirits: Sample locally crafted spirits at this distillery, housed in a beautifully restored historic building.
Experience Butte-Silver Bow’s Outdoor Activities:
- Continental Divide National Scenic Trail: Hike or bike a portion of this epic 3,100-mile trail, which passes through Butte and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Fairmont Hot Springs Resort: Unwind in the soothing mineral waters of this popular hot springs resort, located just a short drive from Butte.
- Blacktail Mountain Ski Area: Hit the slopes at this family-friendly ski resort, offering a variety of terrain for skiers and snowboarders of all levels.
Navigate Butte-Silver Bow’s Transportation: Butte is served by the Butte Bus system, which provides public transportation throughout the city and surrounding areas. Taxis and rideshare services are also available. Bert Mooney Airport connects Butte to major destinations across the United States.
Find Butte-Silver Bow Accommodations: Butte-Silver Bow offers a range of lodging options, from budget-friendly motels to historic hotels and bed & breakfasts. Popular choices include The Copper King Hotel and Convention Center, a recently renovated historic hotel, and the Toad Hall Manor Bed & Breakfast, offering elegant accommodations in a charming setting.