Santa Maria is a city located on the Central Coast of California in Santa Barbara County. Known for its beautiful landscapes, wineries, and agricultural heritage, Santa Maria offers a laid-back atmosphere and a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. Here’s a guide to help you explore Santa Maria:
- Wineries and Wine Tasting:
- Santa Maria Valley Wine Country: This area is home to numerous wineries and vineyards, offering exceptional wines and picturesque views. Some popular wineries in the area include Presqu’ile Winery, Cambria Estate Winery, and Riverbench Vineyard & Winery.
- Outdoor Activities:
- Los Flores Ranch Park: This park offers over 15 miles of hiking, biking, and equestrian trails, as well as picnic areas and educational programs. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and native wildlife.
- Waller Park: A popular family-friendly park with playgrounds, walking paths, picnic areas, and a dog park.
- Golfing: Santa Maria is home to several golf courses, such as the Santa Maria Country Club and Rancho Maria Golf Club.
- Historical and Cultural Attractions:
- Santa Maria Valley Historical Society Museum: This museum showcases the rich history of Santa Maria Valley, including its agricultural heritage, the Chumash Native Americans, and the development of the city.
- Pacific Conservatory Theatre (PCPA): Enjoy live theatrical performances at this renowned regional theater company.
- Santa Maria is famous for its Santa Maria-style barbecue, which features seasoned, grilled tri-tip served with beans, salad, and fresh salsa. Be sure to try this local favorite at eateries such as Shaw’s Steakhouse, The Hitching Post, or Far Western Tavern.
- You’ll also find a variety of other dining options in Santa Maria, including Mexican, Italian, and Asian cuisine.
- Annual Events and Festivals:
- Santa Maria Valley Strawberry Festival: This annual event celebrates the region’s agricultural heritage, particularly it’s strawberry production. Enjoy strawberry-themed treats, carnival rides, live entertainment, and more.
- Santa Maria Elks Rodeo and Parade: A traditional rodeo event featuring professional cowboys and cowgirls, as well as a parade and other festivities.
- Nearby Attractions:
- Santa Maria is conveniently located near several other popular destinations on the Central Coast, such as Pismo Beach, Solvang, and the city of Santa Barbara. These locations offer additional opportunities for wine tasting, beach activities, and exploring the beautiful California coastline.
Enjoy your time exploring Santa Maria and the surrounding areas of California’s Central Coast!