Massachusetts is a state located in the northeastern region of the United States.
As of 2020, the population of Massachusetts is approximately 6.9 million people.
The capital of Massachusetts is Boston, which is also the most populous city in the state with a population of approximately 692,000 people as of 2020.
In 2020, the most populous cities in Massachusetts after Boston were Worcester (with a population of approximately 185,000 people) and Springfield (with a population of approximately 154,000 people).
Massachusetts has a rich and important history, playing a significant role in the American Revolution, with events such as the Boston Tea Party and the Battle of Bunker Hill taking place in the state. It is also home to several prestigious universities and colleges, such as Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Massachusetts is a state in the New England region of the northeastern United States. It is bordered by New Hampshire to the north, Vermont to the northwest, New York to the west, Connecticut to the southwest, Rhode Island to the south, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.
Here are some key events in the history of Massachusetts:
- The Pilgrims, a group of English Puritans seeking religious freedom, arrived in present-day Plymouth in 1620 and established the Plymouth Colony.
- In 1691, Plymouth Colony merged with the Massachusetts Bay Colony to form the Province of Massachusetts Bay.
- Boston played a key role in the American Revolution, hosting events such as the Boston Tea Party and serving as the site of the Siege of Boston.
- Many abolitionists were based in Massachusetts, including William Lloyd Garrison and Frederick Douglass. The state was also an important hub of the Underground Railroad.
- Massachusetts has a strong tradition of progressive politics and social reform, including being the first state to legalize same-sex marriage in 2004.
As of the 2020 census, the population of Massachusetts was 7,029,917. The capital of Massachusetts is Boston, which is also the state’s largest city with a population of 692,600.